Monday, October 26, 2009

Food for thought...

So I did some reading today and found out that the voice in the new Levi's ad, the one with the really cool "America" montage in the background and that strong, emotive voice reading some poetry in the background...that is allegedly the voice of one Walt Whitman, cleaned up from a wax cylinder recording from the 1880s. How sweet is that!? The voice of Mr. Whitman...what a cool thing to hear.

But the article I read, which can be found here, had a really cool quote that I want to highlight.

"Interestingly, the most expensive pair of jeans that Levi's sells -- the Landmine, $238 -- carries that price tag partly because it recreates the worn, faded, torn look that has become so prized in jeans. The Levi's brand originally took off because its workpants were more durable than other clothing of the period, but you spend more today for the look people back then were trying to avoid: wear and tear."

Remember in the early 2000's when wearing jeans with holes and stains and tears started to become popular, especially in the "preppy" brands like A&F and American Eagle? I think this quote sums up best what I think of those, even though I was guilty of purchasing the same jeans for the sake of wearing the popular clothes of the time. Shame on me...

No comments:

Post a Comment